Subject: Re: Prentium MMX for NetBSD-current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/1997 18:45:42
Hi,

>>I would like to know that if there is any changes to use Pentium MMX CPU
>>under NetBSD-current. Thanks.

No changes in NetBSD need to be done to run it on a Pentium MMX, if that
is what you wanted to know.

> MMX is for applications.  The OS shouldn't have to know anything about
> it (theoretically, anyway).

but the OS might want to take advantage of the possibilities that new
chips provide. While I have to say that I am not a fan of
microoptimizations (PLEASE, no flame war about this again, or at least
not on any of the netbsd-mailing lists: go to news://*.advocacy :-)
the mem* functions could benefit from the new instructions. But let me
say this again, I don't want this to happen soon. I'd rather have some
other stuff fixed first, like

o import FreeBSD's vm system with merged/fixed vm/buffer system
o better device support
o more commercial products available
o bounce buffers
o a non GPL'ed ext2fs
o IPv6
o more src being shared across platforms
o (fill in whatever you want to have fixed in NetBSD :-)

  Guenther