Subject: Re: NCR driver upgrade in -current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/1997 17:11:52
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I have committed the latest fixes/upgrades to NCR SCSI driver from
> FreeBSD (and ported to NetBSD by Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>)
>
> This was tested on alpha by cgd, and tested on several i386 boxes. I
> stressed it hard on my machine and it still lived. This patch almost
> certainly causes no overall harm to the goddamned mess, but the NCR
> driver only works when you perform voodoo rituals on it anyway.
>
> This is what Dave said (in email) has been added to the driver:

I got this and made a new kernel with not much change to the whole mess.
This time I get COMMAND FAILURE (9 0) showing up a few times (I have
seen this before), I get hard wedges (I did an fsck to batter the SCSI
driver a bit and have not made it through one fsck yet alive without
either a command failure or just a lock up - the drive light jams on
solid and nothing ...), and a couple of parity errors reported. This
last is a new trick - I have never seen this one before in the couple of
years that I have been running the driver (a new message?)

I talked to my supplier and have got another SC-200 on loan from them.
This one's NCR chip is badged a SymBIOS 510A. The new kernel is
reporting my current card as a 510 only, so there are subtle differences
already, I think. I am really looking forward to trying this one out and
seeing if the problem is solved. If it is, there could be a chip problem
as someone suggested.

Anyone else out there running NCR cards with the new kernel getting a
straight 510 reported? What type of card? I am still collecting info
about NCR configurations that do/don't work - thanks to all who have
sent in stuff so far.

Let you know tomorrow - time to go home now.

D.
--
Davyd Norris - Systems Manager
Franklin Collins Pty. Ltd.