Subject: Re: Corruption on files read via NFS
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/1997 10:41:51
> This machine ran 1.1 just fine when I used it before, although at
> that time it was a SCSI machine (Adaptec 1542 and Quantum Empire).
> I'm wondering if perhaps these problems might not be related in
> some way to using IDE on this machine; I rarely run NetBSD on IDE
> systems. Any thoughts?

I have IDE based systems, but haven't seen NFS problems so far.  These
are pentium systems, though.  It sounds odd that the file is corrupted
the same way every time - doesn't sound like a random hardware problem
to me.  I think I heard that the IDE driver can disable interrupts for
relatively long periods of time which _might_ affect your Ethernet -
but I would think this would cause random problems.

I'm having trouble sending e-mail to one address in the world and
receiving e-mail from another address.  I have an Amiga 3000 as a
router between me and the rest of the world and I _think_ it may
be corrupting some very rare TCP/IP packets and causing the problems.
Maybe you have found a similar problem?  Does the problem show up with
all files or with just one?

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---