Subject: Re: Share common code/data across ports?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/1997 12:46:43
> Wouldn't you normally specify a "raw device" to mount with a given
> file system?  i.e.,
> 	mount -t kernfs /var/crash/netbsd.0.core /mnt/kern
> or whatnot?

> (Typical would be "/dev/kmem".)

Conceptually, I really like this.  In practice, it's quite another
story, because it means either putting much/most of libkvm into the
kernel kernfs code or else making the kernel part of kernfs just a stub
that talks to a user-land daemon, somewhat akin to the portal fs.

Though it seems to me that it'd be harder to do for /proc, since the
"files" in /proc support a lot more than the "files" in /kern do.  And
/proc was the one under discussion.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca