Subject: Re: devfs (was Share common code/data across ports?)
To: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/1997 12:37:55
   On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, der Mouse wrote:

   > Or else, the kernel has to special-case symlinks from /dev into
   > /devices, which is even grosser than what we have now.  Jason, do you
   > know how Solaris resolves this dilemma?

   /devices is a ufs directory residing on the root partition.  It's
   generated as necessary by some commands that are run that poke around
   inside the kernel.  Since it is a ufs partition and is not re-generated on
   every boot, Solaris does not have this problem.

no, it doesn't have _this_ problem.  it just has a whole bunch of
other problems.

every tried to boot a solaris disk on a machine that it wasn't installed
on, and wasn't configured basically identically ?  ever tried booting
from a disk that previously didn't exist ?

it doesn't work.  it fails miserably and horribly and requires at least
booting from cdrom to fix, or, in some sad cases (sigh), a reinstall!