Subject: Re: ipfilter changes not complete yet?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1997 07:58:25
>>> So wouldn't it be usefull to reserve some numbers for attapi, or
>>> will it be never included to the official tree some day?

>> The atapi source are unoffical changes so we can't really care about
>> the device number for every unoffical driver.

> What a load of nonsense.  You either have to start a registry for
> device majors for third party drivers or implement the tools that
> make it possible to add a device driver and assign it a major number
> completely automagically

Why do we/they "have to" do anything of the sort?  If you hack on
conf.c, you've _always_ been on your own when it comes to avoiding
conflicts with future releases - or conflicts with what the guy across
the hall is hacking in, for that matter.

I agree it would be a good thing (not "necessary", as you seem to
think) to reserve a range of major device space as "never will be used
by a released system", for private or otherwise unofficial drivers.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca