Subject: Re: Share common code/data across ports?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1997 07:49:15
> Why not a read-only devfs that dynamically created/allocated device
> entries, with a normal filesystem that allowed any kind of creating
> and/or writing (along with the immutable characteristics, for
> example) simply union-mounted on top?

> You then have 1) the dynamic devfs, 2) the ability to add
> customizations, and 3) no symlinks.

Unfortunately, "-o union" doesn't give enough union semantics, and
"-t union" has some serious problems, notably locking failures and
demanding whiteouts in the upper layer.

It also means that as soon as you customize, you freeze: if I (for
example) "chgrp staff /dev/rsd*", and then the devfs /dev/rsd* change
minor numbers (for example), my chowned versions won't change.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca