Subject: Re: ipfilter changes not complete yet?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1997 02:32:00
netbsd@arresum.INka.DE (Bernd Ernesti) writes:
>>     Same for MAKEDEV. So wouldn't it
>>     be usefull to reserve some numbers for attapi, or will it be never
>>     included to the official tree some day?

>The atapi source are unoffical changes so we can't really care about the
>device number for every unoffical driver.

What a load of nonsense.  You either have to start a registry for
device majors for third party drivers or implement the tools that make
it possible to add a device driver and assign it a major number
completely automagically (including changes to MAKEDEV etc., of
course).  SysV has had the latter work for the better part of a
decade.  It's bad enough that I have to go in and edit conf.c by hand.

Whether a driver is unofficial, 3rd party, binary only, or whatever
doesn't matter.

We have similar mechanisms already with the system calls (except, that
there's still no registry set up for syscall numbers) and PCI device
identification numbers.

>Remeber this is -current.

I wouldn't know why -current would make the slightest difference.
--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.