Subject: Re: Share common code/data across ports?
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1997 14:02:13
>I'd hate to see the Solaris method rear its ugly head here; what would be
>_really_ _cool_ is if MAKEDEV could, given an 'autoconf' arg or something,
>take a look at the extant hardware and config and trim /dev down to match
>the configured list, or at least print messages about 'WARNING: extraneous
>device %s'.  Such as detecting that only 16 ptys were configured, but
>128 existed.
>A symlink farm would be an evil thing.

Why not a read-only devfs that dynamically created/allocated device
entries, with a normal filesystem that allowed any kind of creating
and/or writing (along with the immutable characteristics, for example)
simply union-mounted on top?

You then have 1) the dynamic devfs, 2) the ability to add
customizations, and 3) no symlinks.

Forgive me if I'm being naive.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net