Subject: Re: Problem with make DESTDIR=...
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1997 13:28:56
On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Grey Wolf wrote:

> [With DESTDIR set...]
> You still have to install your .mk files in the canonical place, and
> you need to install your includes in /usr/include, or the 'make build'
> won't work.

Yes, unforuntately. After some enlightening chats with cgd, I'm
kicking around ideas for changing the build process to fix this
sort of thing. I'd like to have the entire system build into an
object tree, using only the makefiles, includes, libs, etc. out of
that object tree, so that you never have to do a `make install' of
any kind until the very end. That way you could also do a `make
build' without root privileges.

Currently, I'm thinking the Proper Solution involves getting rid
of the ability to have an object tree intermixed in with the source
tree (i.e., forcing a separate obj hierarchy with symlinks in the
source tree). While we're at it, we might as well get rid of intermixed
architecture object trees. In other words, for source directory

	/usr/src/usr.sbin/config

We will have object files go in to

	/usr/obj.sparc/usr.sbin/config

We will *not* be allowed to use (any longer)

	/usr/src/usr.sbin/config/obj
	/usr/src/usr.sbin/config/obj.sparc
	/usr/obj/usr.sbin/config.sparc

I don't know what people think of this. I don't see this as any
loss myself.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.