Subject: A few Kerberos changes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/1997 00:56:46
If you build and install /usr/src/domestic, you'll notice a few changes:

	* passwd now properly understands modern Kerberos password changing
	* login now uses Kerberos if it is "active".

"active" in this context means that you've got a default realm which is not
error-default-realm.  I would welcome a suggestion as to a better method; note
that unless the user is in the local or YP user database in use on the system,
he can't log in even if he does have a Kerberos principal.

There is a small conceptual problem with Kerberos password changing if you're
using YP to distribute the "passwd" user database but are using Kerberos for
passwords.  I'm mulling over what to do about this, since a few people seem to
actually follow this model.

The last few bits of Kerberos code (rlogin, rsh, rcp, rdist) will come in RSN.
I don't, however, expect to integrate the Kerberos NFS code any time soon.

Also, kadmind appears to not work at least some of the time.  I'm working on
it... :-/

Thor