Subject: Re: other backup technologies?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1997 20:25:00
> - it's significantly less efficient, because it perforce walks the
>   filesystem in filesystem-tree order instead of inode order

There have been times, though, when I have been ecstatic about this
particular "feature".  Several times been in situations where the system was
so screwed up that going by inode was fatal, and only dump was working.  It
sucks for performance and a slew of other reasons, some of which you've
already pointed out.

However, I don't want yet another "high-tech" inode based facility for those
really ugly emergencies.... which of course never actually do happen. Sure.

Anyhow.. more Monday night ramblings.