Subject: Re: crash (NCR driver?)
To: Eric Volpe <epv@panix.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1997 15:33:07
On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Eric Volpe wrote:
> I've been seeing a problem with it, where every so often it decides the
> disk is unavailable and proceeds to wait for it to come back. Although I
> can't actually rule out the possibility that the disk really is messed
> up, it did start happening right after I put in a new kernel.
> Also it doesn't really work with my exabyte 8200 drive.

FWIW, I've only had two problems with the NCR driver: some assertion
failure having to do with tagged command queuing, which seems to be fixed
now, and an occasional problem where the driver will get some sort of
error during boot, either right before or right after (don't remember :)
the "changing root device to sd0a" message. The latter happens very
infrequently though, I think I've only seen it three times.

I only have two HDs and a CDROM though, no tape drives or anything weird
on my bus :) In any case, I'm pretty happy with the driver...

BTW, has anyone who has been having problems with the driver tried the
latest update I posted? I only seem to remember one person saying that
performance improved on their Grand Prix, and some other person saying
that not much changed for them :)

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++