Subject: Re: other backup technologies?
To: Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1997 12:02:19
Christian Kuhtz wrote:
> Rob Deker wrote:
>
> > since we are talking about FAST backup solutions here, I feel compelled to
> > say a few words. We currently use networker for some of our backups at my
> > office, and we have found it to be anything BUT fast in a lot of cases.
> > Granted, we are dealing with a much larger volume of data than is being
> > discussed here (10+ gigs a day), but we are having backups that are
> > scheduled to be run every 24 hours taking upwards of 30 hours to
> > complete...
>
> Could it be that your backup strategy might be in need of tuning/revision?

Actually, to me it sounds like you aren't able to keep up a
steady stream of data from the network to the tape (I am
assuming you are doing network based backups here). This is CRITICAL in
order to do fast backups. If you don't feed the tape at it's write
speed,
it has to stop, rewind, and retension fairly often, which can turn a
1 hour backup to a 5 hour backup (or more!)

As mentioned earlier, one problem with Legato is that the index file,
while a nice feature, tends to hit the 2GB limit eventually and there
is no easy way to properly handle this situation from within Legato.
(i.e. No way to easily trim the file or continue it in a new file)

	--John