Subject: Re: other backup technologies?
To: Christian Kuhtz <>
From: Rob Deker <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1997 12:57:01
On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

> Could it be that your backup strategy might be in need of tuning/revision?
Not really..

> You can backup much larger volumes of data (let's say in the neighborhood of
> a couple of TBytes) than what you classify as "much larger" in significantly
> less time.  10G should *not* take as long as you described under any
> circumstances (aside from improper configuration, incl. hardware).
Well, as I understand it, it is Legato's index file strategy that is
killing us.

> What you need is someone who knows what they're doing overhaul your setup.
> If you're attempting to stream 10G onto, let's say, a cheapo 4mm stacker,
> hanging off a 486/33/16 running NT, well, you get the idea. ;-)
FYI: we're using a DLT that is on an Auspex and it is backing up data
stored on the local machine.

> The statement that Legato is notoriously slow cannot be confirmed based on my
> experience with it.
Well, experiences are much akin to opinions and you know what they say
about opinions. I actually have had exchanges with people who work very
closely with Legato who tend to agree with me that they have some serious
speed and indexing problems.

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, |
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |