Subject: Re: DAT support?
To: None <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Erik Rungi <rungus@openface.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1997 17:02:58
   From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
   Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 10:42:36 +0200 (EET)
   Sender: current-users-owner@NetBSD.ORG

   Dear All,

   What kind of a DAT drive do you recommend for a NetBSD (1.2/i386) system?
   Do we have support for DAT changers (would be nice with AMANDA - could
   create backups of all machines automatically)?  What are the DS-1, DDS-1,
   and DDS-2 types mentioned for different DAT drives?

   Hm, there should be a "recommended hardware" list somewhere.. :-)

Hi.  I recently installed a Sony DDS-2 SDT-5000 4GB/8GB internal DAT
drive on my NetBSD/i386 1.2 system on my SCSI chain, and netbsd
happily recognized the drive as /dev/st0, with no problems
whatsoever.  Only thing I had to do was compile st0 into the kernel.

DDS-2 is 120M 4GB uncompressed DAT tape.  My drive operates at
300kbytes/sec sustained rate with 1MB burst rate (so the specs claim)
and this seems to be accurate (approx 3GB drive backed up in 2.5 hours
or so).

Hope this helps.

--
                                                                Erik Rungi