Subject: Re: serial line ideas
To: None <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/27/1996 00:25:42
>Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 17:23:51 -0500
>From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>

>  I find it deplorable that we are even trying to do 115k or more over
>RS-232 to ISDN modems. What about the "universal serial bus" --- I
>know next to nothing about it, but I suspect that it will be yet
>another blight on the "everything is a dumb terminal" thinking of the
>current Unix tty subsystem.

USB is more like Apple's ADB than a RS232 serial link.  If or when it
is supported, it will probably be only as another bus to which devices
may be attached in the kernel.  USB interfaces will bear no similarity
to a 8250/16[45]50 UART.

>  I'm so disgusted with doing RS-232 to my Bitsurfr, that I've ordered
>a Spellcaster BRI ISA card. It was apparently shipped on the 24th. I
>have yet to look at the ISDN4Linux stuff, but I will. I have no idea
>if they have done anything other than tty stuff.

I agree that trying to connect ISDN via an RS232 link is Wrong; but
you should blame the hardware designer, not the operating system.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>