Subject: Re: make: MACHINE vs. MACHINE_ARCH
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1996 21:15:58
In message
<Pine.NEB.3.93.961222162657.11439G-100000@didactic.cynic.net> Curt
Sampson writes:
: Obviously this isn't going to work for cross-compiling. It seems
: to me we should change make so that it can take MACHINE_ARCH, as
: well as MACHINE, from the environment, and add a HOST_MACHINE_ARCH
: and HOST_MACHINE. HOST_MACHINE can be gotten from uname(3).

I work around this problem by building a special make that defines
MACHINE_ARCH correctly, no matter what machine I'm on.  That seems to
be sufficient for my needs.  If HOST_* were available, I'd still have
a special make that I'd turn into a simple shell script...

Warner