Subject: make: MACHINE vs. MACHINE_ARCH
To: NetBSD-current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1996 16:01:56
Does anyone out there know the original intention behind the use
of MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH? Since MACHINE_ARCH is set by make,
and cannot be overridden in the environment, I would assume that
that would be used for things dependent on the host system only,
rather than the target system. However, in some places MACHINE_ARCH
is not used this way. For example, in src/lib/csu/Makefile, we set
`SUBDIR= ${MACHINE_ARCH}', which is obviously incorrect if we're
on an alpha but compiling for a sparc,  or even just doing a
`MACHINE=sparc make obj' on an Alpha otherwise being used as an
NFS server for a sparc.

If we haven't done so already, I think we should explicitly define
MACHINE_ARCH to be the architecture of the host system (since we
don't have much choice about that one) and MACHINE to be the
architecture of the target system. I will then start going through
the makefiles (including /usr/share/mk/*) and fixing up the usage
of MACHINE_ARCH.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.