Subject: Re: libedit (was Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's )
To: Brad Walker <bwalker@breakthru.musings.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1996 22:51:47
Brad Walker said:

>IMHO, STREAMS is a very big improvement over our current tty implementation.
>It solves lots of architectural problems that we keep having. And it
>can improvement basic character handling. As for the stuff Karels or
>McKusick did, I have no idea. I tried contacting these people earlier
>in the year and received no response. As best I can tell, this is a
>dead issue with them.
>
>I have a very basic implementation of STREAMS that I wrote. It currently
>doesn't handle termio stuff. But, it works for queues and moving bytes.

However, Sun is still getting ring buffer overflows on their ZS* serial
interface  buffers that they've been trying to fix since SunOS 4.1.1 up
until Solaris 2.5.1.  And the serial buffers in Solaris still top out
at 38,400.  Sun has been trying to fix this for seven years!!

STREAMS is an easy programming layer, but SLOW.  STREAMS SUCKS!!

My utmost wish is that NetBSD will not end up resembling the godawful
mess of Solaris.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com