Subject: make up of base release
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1996 16:39:36

  I was just installing NetBSD 1.2 on a used Dec 425SL notebook.
  I'm hoping not to start a big war, so tell me off in email if you
like :-)

  Watching the base12 extract, I remembered a question: is there a
reason why some things like the UUCP utilities could not be placed in
a separate package? [Yes, I know how to use the 'rm' command]

  Actually, I think I might like to even see min12 package that could
be used on small systems, and a std12 package that would bring the
system up to the current base12 set.

  I suspect most of the daemons referenced in inetd.conf could be left
out, and perhaps even inetd itself. While this may be rather biased to
small non-networked notebooks, it also has a certain security
niceness. Include only client software in the min12.

  Granted base12+etc12+etc12 occupy 32Mb of disk, 23Mb when I remember
to delete /tmp/base12.* and friends, still, I'd like to get NetBSD,
plus UUCP on a friend's 386sx16 on two 40Mb drives :-)
   :!mcr!:            |  Network security consulting and
   Michael Richardson |      contract programming
 WWW: PGP key available.
Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: latin1

p.s: anyone have any technical data on the 425SL?