Subject: Re: replacing sup?
To: Guenther Grau <>
From: Iain Hibbert <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1996 14:21:28
On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Guenther Grau wrote:

> I remember that there used to be problems with sup, esp. those mentioned
> above. What do people think about a switch to CVSup? I must admit that
> I am personally not running CVSup, but I haven't seen any complies from
> the FreeBSD people and this mail was sent more than a month ago.

I would applaud an alternative to sup - I hate it, it has always given me
grief and I'm running on a 9600 baud link so any mistakes can take a long
time to sort out..

my latest problem, is that at, there are some zero length
files that somehow aren't getting replaced in their sup (the dates are
correct), so I tried to switch to, but his source tree has
been datestamped sometime differently than mine, so sup wants to download
everything again - after 12 hours, and less than halfway through I gave up
(it costs me money to be online!)

I don't know how feasible something like daily/weekly/monthly patch kits (in
tar.gz) format would be to produce, but I imagine that it would mean less
online time for me (mind you, I imagine getting a new serial port would mean
less online time too but that would cost mucho money)