Subject: Re: replacing sup?
To: Guenther Grau <grau@fzi.de>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1996 14:21:28
On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Guenther Grau wrote:

> I remember that there used to be problems with sup, esp. those mentioned
> above. What do people think about a switch to CVSup? I must admit that
> I am personally not running CVSup, but I haven't seen any complies from
> the FreeBSD people and this mail was sent more than a month ago.

I would applaud an alternative to sup - I hate it, it has always given me
grief and I'm running on a 9600 baud link so any mistakes can take a long
time to sort out..

my latest problem, is that at ftp.wonderland.org, there are some zero length
files that somehow aren't getting replaced in their sup (the dates are
correct), so I tried to switch to sup.uk.netbsd.org, but his source tree has
been datestamped sometime differently than mine, so sup wants to download
everything again - after 12 hours, and less than halfway through I gave up
(it costs me money to be online!)

I don't know how feasible something like daily/weekly/monthly patch kits (in
tar.gz) format would be to produce, but I imagine that it would mean less
online time for me (mind you, I imagine getting a new serial port would mean
less online time too but that would cost mucho money)

iain