Subject: Re: Name Service switch... (WAS Re: bin/3011...)
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Rob Healey <rob-healey@norstar.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1996 12:23:32
> The upshot of this is that if something gets updated, all you need
> to do is rebuild your daemon.  The time problem is the overhead of
> seeing if the daemon is waiting on that port.  If it isn't, you won't
> be able to connect, it'll drop instantly into the file lookup.
>
> I'm certain I'm missing something, and it looks real ugly -- in fact
> I'd rather just leave things alone.  But it might appease those within
> the group who are bemoaning the fact that we don't have an nsswitch,
> and that it doesn't help anyway for people who don't have a rtld.

	How about libc does files, and maybe DNS, and has to hooks to
	bring in an nsswitch type situation if dynamic libs are supported.
	Eventually all ports will have dynamic libs anyways.

	I'd REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate to bring in ANOTHER daemon when
	basic libc could handle files, plus DNS(?), and libc would dynamically
	access the other services available if compiled to do so.

	My $0.02,

	-Rob