Subject: iy driver status - Intel Ether Express Pro/10 +
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/14/1996 18:56:11
On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, John C. Hayward wrote:

> Dear NetBSDers,
>    I am participating in a trial period for ADSL.  This technology
> provides 1.544 Mb/sec from the telephone office to the client site
>    When I boot it fails to recognize the card because when it reads
> the ID from the card it sees:
> Dec 13 23:26:54 johnhome /netbsd: ie0: unknown AT&T board type code 0
>
>    Does anyone have an Ether Express Pro/10+ working with NetBSD?
Got several replies that the iy driver was the thing to use but comments
also that it was not in GENERIC and produced warnings when included.

I edited the source to remove the warnings and build a kernel.
I tested on a older (1.1) system with a 1.2B kernel with iy drivers.

On boot up it probed the iy driver with:
Dec 14 11:10:38 johnhome /netbsd: iy0 at isa0 port 0x210-0x21f irq 9:
address 00:a0:c9:0c:2c:83, chip rev. 1, 32 kB SRAM

When I ifconfiged -a I got some error messages.  If I configed the
device ip and netmask 255.255.255.192 suddenly networking stopped (at
least my ppp link was cut off).  I reverified this happening.

I updated my system to 2.0 and ifconfig -a still produced error messages
and ifconfig the device stopped networking.

I got current sources for ifconfig and made that and that took care of
the ifconfig -a error messages but networking still was stopped when
I gave the IP and netmask to the device.

I guess the problem is with the driver (or possibly the Etherexpress
pro/10+ may be different than the Etherexpress pro/10).

> Any pointers would be appreciated.
                    ^still