Subject: Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@connect.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/1996 09:43:18
"Gordon W. Ross" writes:
> These are certainly not a "show-stopper" problems.
> The two biggest problems I see are:
>
> (1) A minimal program that calls gethostbyname is much bigger
>     than it needs to be.  I deal with this for the RAMDISK root
>     by creating stubs for the YP stuff, etc.  (Yuck!)

Yep, not sure how to fix this one in any scheme, except with "Yuck!"
solutions

> (2) When someone decides to add support for a new type of lookup
>     in nsswitch, then a new version of libc.so is required.  It
>     would be nice if we could avoid having libc.so know what all
>     the lookup methods are.

To (2) I respond, when someone converts a new library call to using
nsswitch, you have to re-release *all* of /usr/lib/lib{dns,nis,files}.so.

Given the two choices of:
	- adding a new database backend (such as nisplus)
    or
	- adding a new library call (such as getpwent())
which occurs more often? I believe the latter, which means that
you're probably going to update libc anyway...

Luke.

PS: I suspect this is ``December 1996's time-wasting mailing list debate'' :)