Subject: Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1996 19:10:18
> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:31:36 -0500
> From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>

[...]
> Indeed, a C program which consists only of a call to getpwuid() ends
> up being (again, stripped):
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 cgd  wheel  229376 Dec 10 17:28 a.out*
>
> When (yp + rpc + db) are used by so many things, and are so huge, it's
> not clear that worrying about the size of libedit is worthwhile.

Actually, that is exactly the reason I have been lobying for an
implementation of the nsswitch code that removes all the direct
references to the YP stuff, etc. from libc (and using rtld to load
those when needed).  This would allow statically linked code to
pull in only the filesystem-based lookup code at compile time,
and only load the others at runtime if nsswitch.conf says to.

Gordon