Subject: Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1996 21:51:35
Just to try to make the point better that I didn't make so well before..
I'm just worried about taking one utility and just keeping on adding
'cool' features to it.

My point with 'people already using Netscape' is that if you're going
to try to add 'cool' features, there will undoubtedly be some other
program out there that is fancier anyway, so you're wasting your
time. I don't recommend using Netscape for ftping, mind you. In fact,
I don't recommend using it for anything ;-)

My other worry is that, once you start doing this to one utility,
you're sort of obliged to tackle other utilities as well, creating
a snowball effect.

In the particular case of commandline editing: if libedit were to be
iused throughout NetBSD to implement (optional) commandline editing for
all the tools that have a commandline, then that's just fine with me,
if it's done consistently.

- Frank