Subject: Re: bin/3011: ftp could be smarter with host:/path and URL's
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@connect.com.au>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1996 12:24:46
Quoting Luke Mewburn,

> Any further functionality such as command editing/recall and completion
> will most likely have ifndef SMALL_FTP (or something like that) to keep
> the size down on install media if necessary.

Those features is what I'd call 'too far'. No, it wouldn't be hard
to, say, use libedit for ftp. But.. it's a file transfer program.
But if you do this, a case could be made to add extensions like this
to any other program that has a command-line-like interface. So..
where to stop?

After all, most people that want nice interfaces when ftping are using
Netscape already at the moment.

- Frank