Subject: Re: gcc breaks at compiling xinstall?
To: Thorsten Frueauf <frueauf@ira.uka.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1996 16:15:43
On Dec  3, 11:49pm, Thorsten Frueauf wrote:
> On NetBSD/amiga I get:
>
> /src/usr.bin/xinstall:
> [milano@di_frueauf]/src/usr.bin/xinstall# make
> cc -O  -Werror  -c /src/usr.bin/xinstall/../../bin/ls/stat_flags.c
> cc -O  -Werror  -c /src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> *** Error code 1
> On NetBSD/hp300 I get a hanging machine if I try to compile xinstall!
>
> So is that an m68k problem with gcc? Anyone else had this problem too?
> Any ideas on how to track this down?

  I think this problem is related to the MAXBSIZE change to MAXPHYS.  I
had run into this on my amiga quite some time ago when I was setting
MAXBSIZE to MAXPHYS.  I looked at cc1 a little bit, but didn't really
know enough about what was going on to figure out what the problem was.
Someone else reported the same problem later, and indicated that it had
occurred when they also changed MAXBSIZE.  I finally just put MAXBSIZE
back to 16K and forgot about it.  I did notice that xinstall.c used MAXBSIZE
to size a buffer in the procedure that cc1 was working on when it died.

  I'd say it's probably an m68k gcc bug.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  mhitch@montana.edu