Subject: Re: NCR problems in recent build of current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/1996 14:59:03
> Does anyone have any ideas? I thought the new NCR driver was a lot
> better than the old one. (I was seeing quite a few assert errors with
> the old driver - that is why I wanted to switch)

FWIW, I very occasionally got a "script error" message from the old NCR
driver (with a Quantum Capella VP32210 and Toshiba XM-5301 CDROM on the
bus). I got that error once with the new NCR driver, but since the old
driver did it too, I didn't think much about it. Didn't have any data
corruption, thankfully.

Also, I've found that whenever that happens, I have to power cycle my
machine, just hitting the reset button doesn't work. Usually the
machine'll lock up with the HD access light stuck on very early in the
boot (while it's still loading the kernel, e.g.) Can't boot MSDOS when
the scsi card's in that state either, it hangs at the "Starting
MS-DOS..." or message.

I had hoped that this new driver would be much better than the old one,
but maybe it's not... oh well. If it turns out that the new driver isn't
worth it, and y'all decide to go back to the old one, perhaps the order
of the sync/wide negotiation could be reversed? I believe that was why my
Quantum Atlas was so slow...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++