Subject: NCR problems in recent build of current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/1996 18:53:14
Hi guys/gals/small furry animals,

Just supped the most recent source and started a full build from a
1.2BETA box, hoping for improvements in the NCR and com drivers. Built a
kernel and installed it and it came up looking great, then gave me an
NCR fatal error (command 9 I think) but kept going all the way to login.
I rebooted and got through ok the next time, and started to build gcc.

The machine wedged hard about half way through the build, and when I
rebooted it came up with a ton of errors in my /usr partition (the
largest one BTW), necessitating a restore of named, dig, zoneinfo, ed
and a few others.

This is the first time I have EVER had to do this in the history of my
use of NetBSD-current and it kinda worries me!!! I have had bad kernels
in my time, sure, but never one that trashed a partition as badly as
this one.

FYI, I have an NCR 53c810 and a Quantum Capella VP32210 hard drive.

Does anyone have any ideas? I thought the new NCR driver was a lot
better than the old one. (I was seeing quite a few assert errors with
the old driver - that is why I wanted to switch)

Thanks for any help,

Dave.
--
Davyd Norris - Systems Manager