Subject: Re: mail spams
To: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/28/1996 13:40:24
According to der Mouse:

>Well, yeah...but not impossible.  Fortunately, the spam engine cannot
>control the Received: header added by the "another mail server".  I
>have toyed with the idea of hacking sendmail so that if it sees a
>summarily bounces the letter.

You may be wasting your time - this is a "stealth-mailer" out there
that uses some mis-features in the smail mail package to obscure the
true source of the mail.  By blocking the direct accesses all that
will happen is other methods will be found to circumvent them.  I
suppose it is sort of like putting a "no junk mail" sticker on your
snail-mail box, if the junk mailer really wants to they can stuff your
box full of junk mail anyway.

Perhaps what we need is the electronic equivalent - I suppose
something like the "ESMTP Spoken Here", say "EJUNK mail accepted".

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.