Subject: Re: Mail and locking
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 11/26/1996 09:44:38
> The thing which concerns me most is what happens when a given
> application uses, say, dot locking, another uses flock(), and a third
> uses both?  Can there ever be a problem?

The most obvious one is probably that program A, which uses only dot
locking, and program B, which uses only flock(), will not understand or
respect one another's locks.

A more subtle one is that programs C and D, each of which does both
sorts of locking but in opposite orders, can deadlock with one another.

					der Mouse

		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D