Subject: Re: Old ncr.c PRs
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/26/1996 01:21:26
On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> The following PRs on the NCR driver are still open, but may have been
> obsoleted by the latest changes....

Sorry to take so long on this. I've had a few CVS troubles. Anyway,
the patches that have gone in the tree are exactly the ones I
applied to my system before these patches were committed. I've just
compiled the latest kernels on both my 486/100 and my Alpha. The
486/100 continues to work fine with the HP drive (it wouldn't even
boot to single-user before), and performance continues to show the
same 40% increase on my 5600 RPM drives (around 2.2MB/sec--however
my P90 gets closer to 4MB/sec on the same drives with a Buslogic
controller).

The Alpha still works just as it did before, with no performance
difference: writes are godawful slow (about 1.2 MB/sec on a 5400
RPM drive) and reads are ok (getting up towards 4MB/sec). I don't
know why the alpha is so bad at write performance. It's not the
disk; I see similar performance, scaled for platter speed, on a
3600 RPM disk.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.