Subject: Re: NCR driver
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1996 15:48:26
On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> What has happened to the NCR SCSI driver?  I did a sup
> to get the latest "improved" version of the NCR driver,
> and now the write speed has gone from 3.5MB/s to 1.4MB/s.
> Reading is still at about 5.5MB/s.

Oh dear. What sort of PC are you on, and what's the rotational
speed of your hard drive?

I had some patches (from David Brownlee?) that increased speed by
about 40% on my 486 with 5400 RPM drives (1.4 MB/sec to 2 MB/sec),
let my 486 run with HP drives (the old one couldn't even get to
single-user mode), and made no difference at all on my Alpha UDB.

Fvdl send me his patches, which I was supposed to have a look at
and test. Unfortunately, I've been so busy this week that they're
still sitting in my mailbox, and so he just went ahead and commmited
them.

Try the following patches against the driver from before the upgrade,
and let us know if that makes any difference.

I will sit down and have compare fvdl's patches and the other ones
and see if there are any significant differences, and test them on
my Alpha.  I don't know if I'll be able to test them on my 486 with
the Genuine Exploding HP Drive before Monday, though.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.