Subject: Re: Why netmask 255.255.255.255 is needed for PPP
To: Peter Simons <simons@petium.rhein.de>
From: Eric Volpe <epv@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1996 10:47:50

> Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com> writes:
>
>  > (There's an unrelated problem we used to have where a dropped PPP link would
>  > go to a target of "0.0.0.0" and grab any route whatsoever, no matter what it
>  > was aimed at, but that seems to have gone away.)
>
> No, actually it is still there an living happily in NetBSD 1.2. Just
> set up a ppp link and use the "defaultroute" option. Then try to add a
> route and voila, it goes to "ppp0", no matter what you do. You have to
> kill pppd to be able to set the route correctly.

no, you just have to delete all the more "general" routes before
creating your new one. Or, for example, if you have both an ethernet and
a ppp, you can re-ifconfig your ethernet interface, and then subsequent
route adds will default to the ethernet provided it's netmask is such
that some other interface wouldn't get it. An option to route to specify
an interface sure would be nice.