Subject: Re: Bug in i386 execl
To: Curt Sampson , Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/1996 15:33:02
phil@cs.wwu.edu writes:
> From: ws@kurt.tools.de (Wolfgang Solfrank)
> >> To reproduce it, execute a command like the following:
> >>
> >> 	find . | cpio -oa -F remotehost:/tmp/delete.me
>
> From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
> >Jukka couldn't reproduce it on the Amiga, either. The powerpc is
> >big-endian, right? I wonder if it exists only in little-endian
> >boxes (i386, alpha so far)? Can someone with a pmax test this?
>
> I tried the above find on NetBSD-1.2/i386 and it gave an error.
> I then tried it on NetBSD-1.2/pc532 and it worked (see below)
> AND the pc532 is a little endian machine.  So it is not just a
> little endian problem.

Some additional data-points from two of our HP-300's (big-endian boxs):

  oster@hup6-8> rcp blah hup:/home/oster/foooo
  oster@hup6-9> pwd
  /home/oster
  oster@hup6-10> find . | cpio -oa -F hup:/home/oster/delete.this
  cpio: hup:/home/oster/delete.this: Input/output error
  oster@hup6-11> uname -a
  NetBSD hup6 1.1 NetBSD 1.1 (JIMMY2) #0: Fri Jan  5 14:12:35 CST 1996
     oster@hup5:/usr/src/sys/arch/hp300/compile/JIMMY2 hp300
  oster@hup6-12>

  oster@jimmy.usask.ca-1> find . | cpio -oa -F skorpio3:/staff/oster/delete.thi
  Found end of tape.  Load next tape and press RETURN.
  cpio: write error: Input/output error
  oster@jimmy.usask.ca-2> cd /
  oster@jimmy.usask.ca-3> find . | cpio -oa -F
     skorpio3:/staff/oster/delete.this.2
  Found end of tape.  Load next tape and press RETURN.
  cpio: write error: Input/output error
  oster@jimmy.usask.ca-4> uname -a
  NetBSD jimmy.usask.ca 1.2_BETA NetBSD 1.2_BETA (JIMMY) #17: Thu Oct 10
    08:58:40 CST 1996
    oster@jimmy.usask.ca:/usr/src/sys/arch/hp300/compile/JIMMY hp300
  oster@jimmy.usask.ca-5>

[I also verified that my .rhosts stuff was working right by doing a
successful "rcp"]

Hope this helps...

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA