Subject: Re: Funny NFS.. problem?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr>
From: Jesus M. Gonzalez <jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/1996 11:33:34
Manuel Bouyer writes:
 > On Nov 18, Jukka Marin wrote
 > > [...]
 > >   mount -r alex.funet.fi:/ /a
 > >
 > > and - it made my /a disappear!  When I umounted /a, /a reappeared.  While
 > > the remote directory was mounted, df didn't show the mount and /a was
 > > completely invisible.
 > > [...]
 >
 > I've seen this kind of things too (don't remember the exact circumstances,
 > the remote server went away, or did'nt accept mount from unprivilegied ports,
 > someting like this). So an ls did show the mount point, but ls -l didn't
 > (because it needed the remote server to get owner and permissions).

	I've seen this when mounting a Linux Debian toaster, which
seems to be configured by default to not allow NFS requests from
unprivileged ports. Making the NetBSD machine to use a privileged port
(option -P to mount_nfs) solved the problem.

		Jesus.

--
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona         | addr.:  c/ Butarque, 15
Grupo de Sistemas y Comunicaciones |         28911 Leganes, Spain