Subject: Re: unionfs
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <=?ISO-2022-JP?B?Ik1JTk9VUkEgTWFrb3RvIC8gGyRCTCcxOhsoQiAbJEI/PxsoQiI=?=>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/1996 15:10:16
|> In <199611182218.QAA14334@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
|> "Phil Knaack" <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu> wrote:

Phil> 	Someone mentioned that the problems with unionfs have to do with
Phil> two simultaneous processes accessing a union-mounted area, although I've
Phil> been using union-mounted source directories to rebuild the world for many
Phil> moons and versions of netbsd, and have never seen a problem.

When the kernel parameter maxusers is too small, it hangs
easily.  Even if it is large (maximum value, 64 for many
ports), it seems to hang occasionally. I'm using i386, sparc
and x68k port at home and office, and i386 tends to hang
most frequently (once or twice per month: I'm using unionfs
for /usr/local and /usr/X11R6, whose lower layer directories
are empty.  Nullfs can do, but I heard that it is less
reliable than unionfs).  X68k never hangs, but this might be
because it is too slow for me to load it heavily...

I heard that NetBSD/pc98 (not integrated yet into the master
tree) team fixed some bugs of unionfs (I do not know the
detail), but their source has not yet come to public.

--
MINOURA, Makoto (Mr) <minoura@kawasaki.flab.fujitsu.co.jp>
Integrated Networks Laboratory, Fujitsu Labs. Ltd., JAPAN