Subject: Re: Help with xload freaking out
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1996 12:58:00
On Nov 15, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote

> Basically, after xload has been running for several days, sometimes it
> just "freaks out".  It will start eating all CPU time, and will be
> constantly stuffing this into stdout:
>
> 	Warning: Select failed; error code 22
>
> I ran it under ktrace, and managed to catch it in the act.  The ktrace
> info is several hundred megabytes, so I'll just include the part where
> it first gets the error.  Prior to this is normal operation:
>
>   6774 xload    CALL  select(0x4,0xf7bfcfa4,0xf7bfcfc4,0xf7bfcfe4,0xf7bfd018)
>   6774 xload    RET   select 0

Do you know which file the fd 0x04 is ?  I guess it is une UNIX socket used
by the X server ...
Couldn't it be that a cron job remove your /tmp/.X0-lock and /tmp/.X11-unix
files ?

--
Manuel Bouyer, MASI, Universite Paris VI.
email: bouyer@masi.ibp.fr