Subject: Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?
To: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1996 14:18:23
At 5:25 PM -0000 11/17/96, Paul Goyette wrote:

>> > Huh?  It's possible on _every_ port -- just pass it in to the booted
>> > kernel.
>>
>> Well, possible on every port that has its own bootblocks.  (Which
>> currently is all the ports, isn't it?)
>
>Nope - as far as I know, the mac678k port still requires the user to boot
>up the Mac OS first, and then run the NetBSD Boot utility.

This is true.  However, the booter can either boot from a kernel in your
root filesystem (with an arbitrary filename) _or_ a kernel file
in the MacOS filesystem.  Because of the problems with getting the right
kernel namelist, the former is almost always used once the system has
been set up.  The latter is mostly useful for people doing initial setup,
who may just want to find out if a kernel will even try to boot on an
unknown machine before they go to the trouble of making a filesystem, etc.

-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                       monroe@teleport.com