Subject: Re: DST and TIMEZONE
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1996 05:45:18
>To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG
>Subject: DST and TIMEZONE
>Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 22:57:55 -0600
>From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
>Sender: current-users-owner@NetBSD.ORG
>
>I've got a system clock set to the appropriate time.  It does not
>appear to have a Daylight Savings Time option.  This is an AWARD
>PnP BIOS (sorry for the i386-centricism).  The kernel has:
>options		DST=1
>options		TIMEZONE=360		# minutes west of GMT (for param.c)
>
>I am in US Central timezone.
>
>Although /etc/localtime.readme says:
>This is a copy of the /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central file.
>I cannot use a symlink since /usr is not mounted at boot time.
>
>My /etc/localtime is actually a symlink:
>lrwx------  1 root  wheel  30 Nov 16 17:21 /etc/localtime ->
/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central

>I just noticed the system reports the time incorrectly:
>Sat Nov 16 22:54:52 CST 1996
>When it is really 23:54...
>
>so what am I doing wrong?
>Obviously something has the wrong DST behavior... but I thought I fixed
>it last time around!

My computer does the same thing.  It's also an i386, but I'm in MDT (well, I
was up until last month; now we're technically MST.)

The *BSD FAQ says something about the way to set your kernel options to
correct this behaviour, but it isn't clear on whether both the config file
and /etc/localtime should be set or just one of them.  I haven't had time to
play with the recompiling my kernel yet...
Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown