Subject: Re: kernel symbol tables (was Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?)
To: Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1996 15:49:19
On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Bert Driehuis wrote:

> What's wrong with providing a kernel build option to not keep the symbol
> table, and fall back to the old /dev/kmem approach, if you're low on
> memory? Also, I'd like to see by how much the wired kernel size increases
> before even deciding such a build option is worthwhile. I have a hard time
> believing it'll grow by more that 1K, and even a sun3 can cope with that.
> But I might be way off bat here...

There is another option.  On the Amiga port, the option of whether or
not to keep the kernel symbols is passed in by the boot loader.  That
way you can decide whether to keep symbols depending on what you're doing.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
					- Benton Frasier