Subject: MACHINE_NONCONTIG
To: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1996 15:01:43
> From: "Gordon W. Ross" <gwr>
> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 96 12:37:13 EST

> So, I propose that we:
>
> (1) Add the PMAP_MEM_CONTIG definition to all ports that do not
>     presently use the MACHINE_NONCONTIG option.
>
> (2) Change the VM code conditionals from
> 	#ifndef MACHINE_NONCONTIG
> 	#ifdef PMAP_MEM_CONTIG	/* old, depreciated way */
>
> (3) Remove the MACHINE_NONCONTIG definition from the
>     ports that use the preferred interface.
>
> The intention would be to make it more convenient to use the
> preferred interface than to use the depreciated interface.

By the way, I think the definition of PMAP_MEM_CONTIG
(if present) should live in:  sys/arch/*/include/pmap.h
because it is the pmap module that determines whether
this definition should be present or not.  (It depends
on which interface the pmap module implements.) All the
VM code that presently cares about MACHINE_NONCONTIG
already includes machine/pmap.h (indirectly).

Gordon