Subject: Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?
To: None <ws@kurt.tools.de>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1996 11:12:50
>Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:37:11 +0100
>From: ws@kurt.tools.de (Wolfgang Solfrank)

>So when I made the change, I didn't do it in the form it is now, but had only
>the code that is now under MACHINE_NONCONTIG.  I made the modified vm code
>with the corresponding modifications to the i386 pmap module available to
>developers, but didn't integrate it into the tree, in order to encourage them
>to turn over the other ports to the new model, too (there were a lot less
>ports then...).  Unfortunately pressure mostly from i386 users led to the
>current situation, where the new code is under an #ifdef, and there is no
>real incentive for port maintainers to switch to the new code.  Even worse,
>new ports may start with the non-MACHINE_NONCONTIG case, so the chance of
>this define to vanish decreases.  Note that the code for the MACHINE_NONCONTIG
>case isn't any easier or harder than the old case, just different.
>
>Maybe this should be stated more prominently in order to at least encourage
>new porters to code for the MACHINE_NONCONTIG case instead of the old one.

Perhaps a better way to do this would be:

1) Add '#define MACHINE_CONTIG' to <machine/vmparam.h> in all ports
   that don't use MACHINE_NONCONTIG (preferably with comments like
   /* XXX UPDATE PMAP I/F */).
2) Replace all instances of '#ifdef MACHINE_NONCONTIG' with
   '#ifndef MACHINE_CONTIG'.
3) Eliminate all instances of '#define MACHINE_NONCONTIG' or
   'options MACHINE_NONCONTIG'.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>