Subject: Re: bin/2905: setting environment vars from login
To: Greg A. Woods <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/1996 16:16:42
On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > 2.) Why does this feature have to be available by default?
> As I've said a zillion times: Because it's generally useful, and rarely,
> if ever (show me!), harmful to a generic system (i.e. one that runs
> completely stock out-of-the box binaries in a general purpose computing
> environment).

And I've said a zillion times, lots of people (most people, in
fact) do not run entirely generic, stock out-of-the-box systems.
Surely you aren't going to tell me that you've not made a single
local change.

This `feature' is something that would be easy to miss for someone
who hadn't seen this discussion. It could create a big security
hole. It's not terribly useful to many people. So leave it off by

Curt Sampson		Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.