Subject: Re: Bug in g++ or ?
To: Paul Boven <>
From: Krister Walfridsson <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/1996 06:00:38
On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Paul Boven wrote:

> Apparently somewhere between reading errno.h and rereading it later it gets
> mangled a bit in that an extra "const" is inserted.
> <errno.h>:48  extern const char * const sys_errlist[];
> So this looks like either a compiler bug, or the file errno.h should be
> protected against multiple inclusion as per the usual #ifdef-constructions.

I had the same problem. But when I started to isolate the bug, it
disappeared! And I haven't been able to reproduce it, so try to remove
everything and start again! (if this doesnt work, remove the line that
includes errno.h. octave compiles fine without it.)

I have seen the same problem with g++ when compiling guavac-0.2.5,
and I'm a bit scared of compilers which doesn't have deterministic
behaviour...  :(

Another problem when compiling octave and guavac are that you cannot
use the '-O' flag, or it will fail during linking. Is this a known
problem? (I'm using a SPARC, what about other ports?) I'm planning to
investigate it this weekend.