Subject: Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1996 23:54:42
Hi,

> Note that I'm all but against a solution of this problem.  But IMHO it is much
> better to return the symbol table from the loaded kernel through some kernfs
> file.  Especially if that one is already in memory anyway (as is the case for
> most ports if you are using DDB).

well, Wolfang convinced me, that his solution is the one which will work
in most cases on all ports. The only problem I still see with his solution
is the installation kernel, but this could be solved with Curt Sampson's
proposal:

> on a regular running system. However, it sounds to me like it might
> cause problems with the install, where the kernel is already quite
> large and there is no swap space. But presumably we'd just have a
> NOSYMTABLOAD option or whatever that would take care of this problem.

It has also come to my attention that Wolfgang has his solution working
already, so why no have him commit it to the tree? :-) I haven't seen
any messages really opposing his proposal after he properly explained
it to us :-) Talked about this enough, let's get on and improve our
operating system :-)

  Guenther