Subject: Re: kernel symbol tables (was Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1996 02:08:52
At 02:36 PM 11/12/96 EST, Mike Long wrote:
>Once that problem is solved, Wolfgang's proposal is no worse than
>what we're stuck with already.
>
>OK; so far, we have two potential solutions:
>
>1) Use kernel symbol table in memory.
>   PROS: guaranteed to be correct, can include LKM symbols
>   CONS: kernel bloat, bad for low-memory machines (sun3)

But it would be paged out when not needed, so it wouldn't hurt *that* bad.
It sounds like the first workable solution that has come across the lists (and
is usable on all NetBSD ports).

--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. -   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM     http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/       -   kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu