Subject: Re: vmstat, iostat etc no longer work?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1996 01:06:58
On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Curt Sampson wrote:

>     if sysctl kern.loadfile >/dev/null 2>&1 && [ -n "`sysctl kern.loadfile`" ];
>     then
> 	rm -f /var/run/kernel
> 	ln -s `sysctl kern.hostname` /var/run/kernel
>     fi

While this is obviously somewhat of an improvement, it doesn't seem as
complete a solution as keeping the symbol table.  In particular, the case
where you load the kernel from media that isn't accessible once it's
running is a problem.

I think I'd rather see the symbol table loaded regardless of whether DDB
is in the kernel, myself, but I'll admit that's a bit more work (though
not terribly much).

--scott